QLD COVID cases revealed on second day of Southeast, Townsville lockdown



Queensland has recorded two locally acquired COVID-19 cases on the second full day of a three-day Southeast and Townsville lockdown.

One of the cases announced on Thursday is close contact of a known case in a cluster linked to a Portuguese restaurant in Brisbane.

The person tested positive in quarantine.

The other case is a 37-year-old woman who works at a Qatar Airways check-in counter at Brisbane International Airport.

She is believed to have been symptomatic since June 27 and could have been infectious for the previous two days, but it is not yet known whether she has the highly infectious Delta strain of COVID-19.

Authorities believe she has visited a limited number of places in the Queensland community, including Office work in North Lakes June 25, Coles Murrumba Downs June 27 and Get in shape anytime at Griffith on an unspecified date.

Her close contacts, including someone she lives with and her colleagues, are put to the test.

An employee at Brisbane International Airport has tested positive for COVID-19. Image file. Credit: PAA

His diagnosis is the latest cause for concern as Queensland reacts to its COVID situation.

But there have been no cases of a Sunshine Coast miner who contracted the disease at a mine in the Northern Territory, a Brisbane hospital receptionist who visited Townsville and Magnetic Island, and a hostess. from Sydney who traveled to Queensland several times on Virgin flights.

They all tested positive for the Delta strain.

Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was too early to say whether the lockdown would end at 6 p.m. Friday as scheduled.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk. Credit: DARREN ENGLAND/AAPIMAGE

“We’re very encouraged at the moment that we really only have these two cases,†Palaszczuk said.

“But we’re not out of the woods yet.

“We still have 24 hours to see what happens… and we’ll speak to you tomorrow to see whether or not we can end the lockdown.”

Health chief Jeannette Young said she was “fairly confident” the state was on top of its COVID response, but reiterated the prime minister’s position that more time was needed before a decision on ending the lockdown be made.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.